| The original district court house on this
site was a brick building, built in 1809-10 and placed on four acres of
land donated by William Buell. The name of the village was changed from
Elizabethtown to Brockville in 1812 to honour Major General Isaac Brock,
the war hero and chief administrator of Upper Canada.
The present dignified stone neo-classical District of Johnstown Court House and Gaol was designed by Toronto architect, John G. Howard. It was erected in 1842-44 by Benjamin Chaffey, a Brockville contractor. The west wing, built for the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville was added in 1888. The Gaoler's House on the east side was built in 1898.
For more interesting information about Brockville's History, check out Douglas Grant's blog at: Brockville History Album
For over a hundred years, a statue of Justice, carved in wood, stood on top of the Court House, the statue was given the name "Sally Grant", and was carved in 1844 from a single white cedar log by William Holmes, a carpenter from Chatham, England.
The statue was removed in 1956 when the base was found to be unsafe. The original statue is now in the museum at Westport. A new statue was erected in 1982, carved by Robert Kerr of Smiths Falls, Ontario.
Copyright © Roper Digital Designs
2003 - 2015